Roasted Beet Borscht
- 3 medium red beets
- 2 dried apricots
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon each salt & freshly ground pepper plus more to taste
- 2 small red onions, diced small
- 2 carrots, diced small
- 1 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3⁄4 cup shredded or thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 14.5 oz can tomato puree
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice plus more to taste
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Wash the beets and place them in a roasting dish with the apricots, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1⁄2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Pour enough water into the pan so that it comes 1/3 of the way up the beets. Turn the beets once so they are coated, cover with foil and cook for 25 minutes, then remove from the oven. Turn the beets over then cook for another 20-35 minutes, until a chef’s knife easily slides through the middle of the beets. Remove from the oven and let cool, then peel and finely dice the beets and chop the apricots and set aside in a bowl.
Heat the remaining oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and carrots and cook, stirring often for about 5 minutes, until the onion softens. Add the coriander, fenugreek and cabbage and stir for a minute, until the spices become fragrant. Add the tomato, stock, beets and apricots and bring to a boil, then cover with a lid, lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.